Sorry for not sharing my solution with you - I thought it might be a closed issue now. I eventually found that one of the problems was that the field name rather than the caption name did not match what I had set up in any case, therefore substituted with DT as below.
Another problem was that the form element to create the confirmation button appeared to disable all the following fields so I removed that.
Finally I changed the Date category to VarChar with a length of 8 characters as suggested and made sure that the format was exactly the same as in the opening project window including slashes. I also changed this in the calendarDateInput.js file.
I was wondering if anyone can help with this. I am trying to use this particular calendar script http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...pcalendar2.htm so that I can make field inputting optional but I can't seem to get it to work in the context of a PHP magic form although it works fine on its own in an ordinary html page. I would be grateful for any sample code to show I might get it to work. The particular problem I have is that the first calendar will not show up.