Address
1301 Main St.

I have another table containing names :

Name 1
John

I have yet another table containing names:

Name 2
Chris

The primary key for the address table matches up with the primary keys in the name tables. I need to write a query that will pair the addresses in the address table with the names from each of the name tables. It should look like this:

Address..................Name
1301 Main St. .........John
1301 Main St. .........Chris

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Last edited by Thedeal56; 02-20-2008 at 02:29 PM..

02-24-2008, 07:11 AM #2  

Lana

Use the Access Query Builder...
You join table by clicking and dragging a field to the comparable field in another table that you have added as a data source.
Right-click the resulting join line, and choose the appropriate option so you will see the main table records even if there is not a related record.

If you want to use sql this reading might help.

10-15-2008, 02:17 AM #3  

GarryBenjamin

Hi. I am well versed in C++, JAVA and Assembly (BSEE, BSCE) and have been having a very hard time with VB access. I have to set up a database system for work. I'm just getting started and can't get past this problem. Any help is appreciated.

I have created 2 tables (DeviceList [stores description, unit #, sys #, equipment type, etc], and ProjectSetup [stores project name, unit #s, etc])and one form (called devicelist[user interface]).

What I need to do is creat an uneditable text display in the form that combines stored info from both tables to create a string and display it in the form.

I understand how to do most of this (such as combine strings, though not sure about combining numbers with strings). I have been trying to enter for a text box, under properties, data--> Default Value =[ProjectSetup]![Plant Name]
(I narrowed the error down to this part of the expression. I think it has to do with referencing another table or possibly relations; I know nothing about relations)

I get this error:
"The object doesn't contain the Automation object 'ProjectSetup'.

You tried to run a Visual Basic procedure to set a property or method for an object. However, the component doesn't make the property or method available for Automation operations......"

Any help is appreciated. Also, What the heck is the property, the method, the object, the component and automation operations? Doesn't tell me which instances of what they are refering to. I don't understand why the coders don't make these popups a bit clearer.

Default Another table or possibly relations
02-19-2009, 05:02 AM #4  

Robel2008

I understand how to do most of this (such as combine strings, though not sure about combining numbers with strings). I have been trying to enter for a text box, under properties, data--> Default Value =[ProjectSetup]![Plant Name]
(I narrowed the error down to this part of the expression. I think it has to do with referencing another table or possibly relations; I know nothing about relations.

Last edited by Jenn; 02-19-2009 at 05:26 AM..

03-18-2009, 06:36 PM #5  

boblarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robel2008 View Post
(I narrowed the error down to this part of the expression. I think it has to do with referencing another table or possibly relations; I know nothing about relations.
You can't set a default like that. In a form you would need to have the field be available in the underlying query.