Web Database Register Members List Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Database Forum > Talk Lounge > Other Web Related Topics & Chat
User Name
Password

Default I am totally confused!!!!
04-08-2012, 04:17 PM #1  

Snowbird

hello,
I am just starting in my first semester of earning a degree to become a programmer. I am confused on something that is part of the homework (only a smart part) and I need help understanding it. I am confused between a file based system and a server based one. Our text book doesn't talk about it and all the information I find online has so much going on I can't get a straight answer. Can anyone tell me something about them and how the questions below would be answered? I am totally confused and have no idea. Thank you in advance. Here is the question and background to support it:

After initial review of the existing systems, you have determined that the shipping system used by your company is a Cobol program and files stand alone and are not tied to any other department. In a similar fashion, the receiving department is using a program designed and developed in DBase. The management team wants the two systems integrated.

Your supervisor has asked you how the use of a database management system will improve the overall processing of the information system within the company. Describe the pros and cons of a file-based verses a server-based solution and what benefits are be gained from using a server-based solution. Your post should include the following details:

Pros and cons of each solution.
The missed opportunity for data sharing using the 2 independent systems.
The advantage of using a single database for both shipping and receiving

04-08-2012, 05:22 PM #2  

popye

Quote:
The missed opportunity for data sharing using the 2 independent systems.
None.

Quote:
The advantage of using a single database for both shipping and receiving.
Reduction of redundant data input. Reduction of the cost to run two different systems. Hardware, data management labor etc.

06-29-2012, 11:23 PM #3  

bizworld

If you're talking about specific database systems, then I would think it would look at something like Microsoft Access as a file based system & then PostgreSQL which is full blow relational database management system (server based) as in it has clients that connect to it and read / modify data. Then again I have no idea what your course is looking for...just adding my .02.

www.bizworldusa.com